With nearly 10 000 members building the new responsive ssu.se would present both great challenges and great experiences. SSU wanted a new website that met their high requirements for usability and user experience, with a large amount of dynamic content.
The site was to be playful and modern, but at the same time serious and easy to navigate.
THE WORK IN MORE DETAIL
STRATEGY AND CREATIVE PROCESS
The first step in every project is getting to know the client and their target groups. And to fins out their goals and dreams about the project. We started of with researching SSU and their current web presence. We looked at their competition and key players in similar areas. Together with SSU we also ran a series of workshops, both on content strategy and design direction.
A NEW STRUCTURE
The ambition was to create a vibrant and user-friendly user experience for SSU members. To get there I did a full site review and restructuring of the content, and sorted the information, rearranged it and then sorted it again. We discussed it with SSU, altered a few misplaced pieces, and finally, there it was, the new site map for SSU.se.
We wanted to create a new way of organizing the content, using hashtags, leaving the the experience fast and user friendly for the user to find the right content.
WIREFRAMES & PROTOTYPING
After building the new site structure, I created paper prototypes for most of the site, high fidelity prototypes for key areas of the website and a mobile first approach.
In every one of the workshops, the design was discussed in one or another way. One method we used was about first impression and gut feeling. I presented a number of webpages for the participants and asked them to quickly rate each one of them. I also did background research to understand and adress the target groups we had defined together with SSU.
PUTTING IT TO THE TEST
After creating a new site structure, I started organizing the main navigation path: primary and secondary menu. For the primary menu we performed an online closed card sorting where the participants had to sort the main content. Next, we had a task based exercise. We asked the participants to complete a few tasks on an interactive prototype, the purpose of this study was to improve information flow. To analyze the result of the study we used a card sorting analyzer application which was designed and developed by Strawberry Hill.
INTERVIEWED BY CAP & DESIGN
I was interviewed by Cap and Design for my work, the leading nordic magazine for graphic designers. The interview (in Swedish) describes the design process in more detail. The article also made it to the frontpage. Read it here: http://bit.ly/1o6p0pi